HR Forum: Supporting diversity and inclusion in the workplace
Type: Information and Policy
Venue: Alfreton Adult Community (ACE) Centre, Derbyshire
Date: Thursday, 19 September 2019
Time: 8:30am - 11:30am
Available To: Members and Non Members
Member Price: FREE
Non-Member Price: FREE
This event is delivered in partnership with Derbyshire County Council and will explore how employers can become disability confident. On the day you will be provided with information and detail of the support available for you to engage and encourage employment and retention of disabled people and those with long term health conditions, increasing the understanding of disability and the benefits of employing disabled people.
The Chamber recognises the importance of this activity and has recently achieved elevated status as a Disability Confident employer - The Disability Confident scheme supports employers to make the most of the talents of disabled people.
We will hear from Derbyshire County Council and DWP who will identify some of the challenges facing employers trying to recruit in the current labour market, and offer some solutions and support to meet those challenges.
On the day there will be a number of providers who can provide a range of support including DWP with their Disability Confident Support, and Access to Work, and Derbyshire’s Healthy Workplaces and Disability Employment Service.
In addition to this there will be an update on Health and Wellbeing practices for the workplace and a “need to know” Employment Law update from BRM Solicitors together with how to help reduce absence and promote positive mental health in the workplace.
- 8.30am – Registrations teas and coffee (market place for providers)
- 9.00am - Welcome from Lucy Robinson, Director of Resources, East Midlands Chamber – overview of latest Quarterly Economic Survey Results in relation to recruitment and investment in training and detail of the work the Chamber undertakes in breaking down the barriers in relation to supporting the recruitment of people with disabilities
- 9.20am – The Labour Market challenge - Andrew Marsh, Head of Employment and Skills, Derbyshire County – an overview of the challenges of the current labour market, and where potential solutions may lie.
- 9.30am - Health Workplaces – Derbyshire County Council - Introduction to creating a healthy workplace which can help, reduce costs and increase productivity, reduce worker sickness absence and staff turnover, and reduce the number of workplace accidents.
- 9.50am – ‘Disability Confident Scheme’ and ‘Access to Work’ scheme - Emma Borrelli, DWP – Supporting disabled employees and accessing the disabled talent pool; exploring the return to you. How you can support your employees that may have a health or disability and the support you can access for them.
- 10.20am - Employer Case Study - Teresa Waldron, Manager, Deaf-initely Women - We will hear from Teresa who will present on her experiences of employing disabled women. Deaf-initely Women’s workforce consists of 100% deaf female employees as the organisation recognised that this group of people often encounter lack of opportunities, discrimination and isolation.
The organisation is governed by deaf women, and its peer-led services are delivered by deaf female staff and volunteers.
Teresa will talk about why it is an asset to recruit disabled people as employees and volunteers. Why it is good practice and responsibility for employers and shareholders to improve their business and corporate social responsibility.
Derby and Derbyshire has the second highest population of deaf people outside London and more needs to be done to improve employment rates for deaf people in this area. Teresa will also talk about Access to Work and its purpose in supporting disabled employees in work through provision of reasonable adjustments, training, equipment and support workers.
- 10.40am - Health and Wellbeing practices to support employees - Growth Partners plc
- 11.00am – Promoting positive mental health in the work place and helping reduce long term absence by supporting employees including and Employment law update of what’s new and what is coming in–BRM Solicitors
- 11.25am – 12.00 – Close (market place for providers)
Benefits of attending
- This forum is for HR Professionals and those working in HR related roles and provides a great space to share best practice and network with people in similiar roles
- Supports employment and retention of disabled people and those with long term health conditions, increasing the understanding of disability and the benefits of employing disabled people.
- Provides delegates with an update on the latest changes in employment law and relevant case studies
In partnership with:
With thanks to:
And Chamber Patron:
If you have any queries about this event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirmation of your booking
A full confirmation with parking and directions will be emailed to delegates approx. 5 working days prior to the event. If this is a paid for event, an invoice for your delegate place(s), will be emailed to you once your booking has been processed. We ask that all invoices are paid prior to attending the event.
Submit your booking today using the form below.