ILM Level 3 - Certificate in Leadership & Management Practice in the Construction & Built Environment Sector
Venue: Challenge Consulting, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Date: Monday, 14 October 2019
Time: 9:30am - 4:30pm
Available To: Members and Non Members
Member Price: £1395.00+VAT
Non-Member Price: £1395.00+VAT
Achievement of this nationally-recognised qualification demonstrates participants' ability to work effectively in a first line management role dealing with multi-faceted projects, identifying and managing activities to bring about improvements.
Participants should be responsible for managing resources and/or teams of individuals within their role.
This course is delivered in an interactive way to appeal to a variety of learning styles and requires a real life project to be undertaken to bring about improvements within the organisation.
We believe in creating programmes which develop individuals to maximise upon their potential within the workplace and beyond. For this reason all of our courses cover the core elements which we believe are critical to excel in a management or leadership role, and not just the elements which the ILM require to pass the qualification. If you complete a programme through the Chamber and Challenge Consulting you can be sure that you will have covered topics in sufficient depth and detail to equip you for challenges within the workplace.
To equip participants with the knowledge, understanding and practical skills to become more effective in their current role by more effectively planning and implement projects; identifying opportunities for increased margins and improvements in working practices and outputs; whilst maintaining safety and quality.
Days 1 & 2 - Leadership and Management Practice for the
Construction and Built Environment Sector - 14 & 15 October 2019
- Understanding the environment. The Construction Industry – innovation and external/internal influences
- Skills for the future – the changing landscape
- Understanding the role of the Supervisor (Safety, Quality, Productivity, People, Processes).
- Leadership versus Management
- Leadership Styles and the importance of respect and dignity.
- Understanding quality in the role of site management (TQM, involving the team, recording and interpreting information on quality).
- Understanding the importance of Health and Safety in Site Management (briefings, statutory duty, work methods etc.
- Managing others and setting and controlling standards – including subcontractors, sub contractor arrangements, client and third parties where applicable.
- Managing your own Personal and Technical Development
- Gathering, interpreting and acting on feedback from others
Day 3 & 4 – Delivery of Site Operations and Logistics - 11 & 12 November 2019
- Planning work on site - setting targets, environmental considerations, supply chain and customers, monitoring and control methods
- Putting team members to work – allocation of tasks and resources
- Understand how to improve the performance of a team in delivering to plan (understanding and managing variances, recognising and dealing with poor performance, involving others in suggesting improvements).
- Quality management (why this matters to customers and the supply chain, quality specifications, processes/procedures on site, method statements/risk assessments and how they safeguard quality; the cost of poor quality).
- 5s, lean concepts and methodologies
- Quality standards and regulation
- Recognising how to maximise upon work outputs through involving, monitoring and controlling the team.
Day 5 & 6 – Understanding Commercial Awareness - 16 & 17 December 2019
- Identifying and understanding the importance of internal and external stakeholders.
- The role of the supervisor in meeting client requirements in terms of quality. Penalties for re-work.
- Margins within the industry and how the supervisor is best placed to manage and maintain these.
- The supervisor’s role in managing and controlling costs (types of costs, fixed, variable, marginal; cost awareness, labour and material costs)
- Identify ways to monitor and control waste in the organisation and creating action plans to reduce waste.
- Understanding different types of waste and how these can be eliminated or reduced to maintain or increase margin.
- Understand how keeping records contributes to the success of the organisation (allocation of labour, cost identification and control etc).
Day 7 & 8 – Achieving Performance Through People - 27 & 28 January 2020
- How to establish and maintain an effective team
- How to motivate a team towards increased productivity and morale
- Dignity, respect and diversity; codes of conduct and ethics.
- Understanding the communication cycle and recognising strengths and weaknesses of own communications
- Giving feedback to others to enhance individual and team performance
- Coaching skills
- Persuasion and influencing skills including how to use these to develop individual potential and performance.
Day 9 - Bringing it to Life – 24 February 2019
- Practical application in the workplace (role plays and scenarios based on real situations) + briefings (assessed).
- Review of course objectives and individual action planning for future development needs.
- Tutorial guidance and professional discussions towards assessments; course results and evaluation.
- Three written assessed pieces and short question assessments (some of which are done during the course day)
- A briefing on an aspect of the course
- A Professional discussion linking aspects of the course content to work place procedures and processes and practical application.
Why complete the programme through the East Midlands Chamber in conjunction with Challenge Consulting?
Challenge Consulting are one of the oldest established ILM centres with a proven track record of delivering excellent programmes. For this reason Challenge Consulting has been awarded “direct claim” status by the ILM, which allows assessment decisions to be made immediately by the assessors, due to their commitment to quality of delivery and ability to make programmes applicable and relevant to attendees.
Submit your booking today using the form below.