ILM Level 5 - Certificate in Leadership and Management
Venue: Challenge Consulting, Nottingham, Nottingham
Date: Thursday, 1 October 2020
Time: 9:30am - 4:30pm
Member Price: £1595.00+VAT
Non-Member Price: £1595.00+VAT
The course improves understanding and confidence when managing people and resources at a middle or aspiring middle management level and leads to a prestigious and well-regarded qualification from the Institute of Leadership and Management, which is nationally recognised.
The course covers the essential knowledge, skills and behaviours to enhance performance in a managerial role including managing self, leadership skills, managing innovation and change and enhancing performance of teams and individuals.
It is delivered over nine full days (to include a tutorial day), over a period of approximately six months, and includes practical and applicable assessments which add real value to the organisation (including an innovation/improvement project, and a leadership skills evaluation).
Participants should be operational managers with responsibilities for managing resources and/or teams of individuals within the scope of their role.
We believe in creating programmes which develop individuals to maximise their potential within the workplace and beyond. For this reason all of our courses cover the core elements which we believe are critical to excel in a management or leadership role, and not just the elements which the ILM requires to pass the qualification. For this reason, if you complete a programme through East Midlands Chamber and Challenge Consulting you can be sure that you will have covered topics in sufficient depth and detail to equip you for challenges within the workplace.
- To equip participants with the knowledge, understanding and practical skills to become more effective in their current role
- To provide confidence and competence to progress within a leadership role
Day 1 - Induction and the organisation context of Leadership and Management - 1 October 2020
- ILM - about the qualification and about the course
- Referencing and research skills
- Understanding assessments and how to get the best from the course
- Knowledge, Skills and Habits - understanding management competencies
- Mission, Vision and Values and how these tie into leadership
- Manager or Leader? Understanding the difference
- The nature & purpose of the organisation and analysing stakeholder relationships and
- organisational structure
- Understanding how the organisation is affected by the macro-environment
- How drivers for change impact upon organisations.
- Organisational culture - understanding culture and how this impacts on the performance
- of the organisation.
- CPD - how to make the best of the learning opportunity
Day 2 - Identifying and evaluating opportunities for innovation & change in the organisation - 15 October 2020
- Understand the need for innovation & improvement in the organisation
- Effectiveness versus Efficiency
- Review the effectiveness of the organisation & self in managing and improving quality to
- meet customer requirements, and requirements of partners and other agencies.
- Creative problem solving techniques to generate options
- Investigating and evaluating options including cost benefit analysis, payback, and cost
- comparison models
- Creating success criteria and scoring mechanisms to identify preferred solution and for
- measuring success of implementation
- Planning for successful implementation - how to overcome barriers and minimise risks.
Day 3 - Implementing and communicating decisions to others at times of change - 5 November 2020
- The role of the leader in supporting through change.
- Planning your approach - transformational or incremental?
- Recognising the range of emotions during change and how to manage these in yourself
- and others.
- Writing success criteria
- Implementation of changes and communicating the changes to overcome barriers and
- manage risks.
- Gaining and maintaining commitment for changes
- Techniques for monitoring and evaluating outcomes of change
- Action learning sets - method and use
Day 4 - Practical workshop on innovation/improvement projects and Tutorial - 26 November 2020
- Practical case studies based on delegates own identified improvement/innovation
- Action learning sets
- Tutorial support towards assessed work on work based project.
Day 5 - Leadership Styles and Emotional intelligence - 17 December 2020
- Understand own ability to fulfil key responsibilities of the leadership role - what makes a
- good leader / good manager?
- Evaluating your own leadership and management performance.
- Theories on leadership and their relevance to own role & performance - what is your
- default style and when is this helpful/unhelpful.
- Understanding Emotional Intelligence
- Leading by example and managing your own emotions - what signals do you give out?
- Mental Toughness
Day 6 - Enhancing Performance of Teams and Individuals - 14 January 2021
- Setting and clarifying direction and cascading objectives
- Delegation and empowerment - how to use these effectively as motivational tools
- Team versus individual objectives - how to set, monitor and review for improved
- Stages in team development, use of team roles for building a balanced team
- The importance of direction and values in creating effective teams
- Managing at a distance - techniques to help.
- Engaging a coaching style and how to use the GROW model in the context of setting
- team and individual objectives towards enhanced performance
Day 7 - Supporting individual development & Managing Performance - 4 February 2021
- Understanding the Performance Management Cycle and how this links to overall
- organisational performance.
- Understanding the legal framework and how this translates into practice through policies
- and procedures
- Perceptions and duty of care
- Performance Management techniques
- o Setting and clarifying expectations and objectives o Disciplinary and capability - how to handle these correctly
- Managing difficult conversations and creating improvement plans.
- Giving feedback to others in the right way
Day 8 - Influencing skills and making a case through professional presentations and briefings - 25 February 2021
- Influencing skills - what's in it for them?
- Preparing to state your case - knowing and understanding audience needs
- Briefing or presentation - understanding how to pitch accordingly
- Clarifying your objective and framing your ideas
- Planning and preparation for maximum impact
- Managing Nerves
- The importance of credibility and how to manage difficult situations
- Posing and responding to questions in the right way
- Tutorial Guidance towards final presentations day.
Day 9 - Continued Personal and professional Development and Individual assessed presentations - 25 March 2021
- Individual assessed presentations
- Peer group and tutor feedback
- Action learning sets for future improvement
- CPD update and completion of personal development action plans
- Programme review
- 1 x Work based improvement project
- 1 x Reflective review based on Leadership Performance
- 1 x Assessed Presentation
Why complete the programme through East Midlands Chamber in conjunction with Challenge Consulting?
Challenge Consulting is one of the oldest established ILM centres with a proven track record of delivering excellent programmes. For this reason Challenge Consulting has been awarded “direct claim” status by the ILM, which allows assessment decisions to be made immediately by the assessors, due to its commitment to quality of delivery and ability to make programmes applicable and relevant to attendees.
Submit your booking today using the form below.