Consider nominating a business for a Queen’s Award?
The 2021 Queen’s Awards are now open for applications
The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are for outstanding achievement by UK businesses.
They are the highest official UK awards for British businesses. The application process is 100% online. The Awards for Enterprise are free to enter and you can apply for more than one award, if you wish.
Applications will close on 8 September
Why should my business enter the Queen’s Awards?
There are both internal and external benefits for the companies who receive a Queen’s Award. A survey of past winners across the East Midlands found that:
- 79% said the award was a boost to staff morale
- 76% said it added prestige to their business
- 69% per cent said it increased recognition of their business in the UK
- 48% said it gave their business an edge overseas.
- 46% of winners said it resulted in them getting additional profile for their business
What benefits are there?
Winners of Queen’s Awards are Royal reception and presented with the award by one of The Queen’s representatives, a Lord-Lieutenant.
Winning companies also get an exclusive invitation to a reception at Buckingham Palace, which is hosted by HM The Queen.
In addition, all winners benefit from:
- You will be allowed to use a recognised Royal Emblem that will get your business noticed, above and beyond the competition
- You receive a Grant of Appointment and a commemorative crystal trophy
- Your company will be globally recognised as an outstanding British brand
- Your company is likely to increase sales and growth
- You will be presented the award by a Lord Lieutenant
- That’s a great opportunity to boost staff morale, to gain press coverage and celebrate together with your customers, suppliers, local authorities, planners, supply chain and other stakeholders
- Attend a Royal reception at Buckingham Palace
What categories are there?
There are four Queen’s Awards for Enterprise categories, which are:
International Trade – For organisations which have achieved outstanding growth in overseas sales, relative to their business size and sector.
Innovation – For organisations which have achieved outstanding commercial success on the back of launching a new innovation in either the invention, design or production of goods, the performance of services, marketing and distribution, or the after-sale support of goods or services.
We would also like to draw you attention to the categories below, they are a fantastic opportunity to showcase the role businesses can play in acknowledging and combating societal issues.
Sustainable Development – For organisations which have improved their commercial performance through the continuous improvement of sustainable business practices.
Promoting opportunity through social mobility – For organisations which have a social mobility programme running for more than two years that helps socially disadvantaged individuals or groups.
Is my business eligible?
Each individual category has its own criteria, but you can usually apply for a Queen’s Award if your business:
- Is based in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)
- Files company tax returns with HMRC
- Is a self-contained enterprise that markets its own products or services and is under its own management
- Has at least two full-time UK employees or part-time equivalents
- Demonstrates strong corporate social responsibility
Have many local businesses won?
Yes, many local businesses across Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire have won a Queen’s Award in recent years, including:
- Morningside Pharmaceuticals
- SMS Electronics
- HSG (Hygienix)
- QDOS (now called Quest)