Wednesday, 9 December 2015
Businesses Urged to Support Devolution Revolution for East Midlands
Companies across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are being urged to get behind the campaign, with the local economy set to be the biggest beneficiary of the devolution revolution.
Leading business figures and organisations, including East Midlands Chamber (Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire) and D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership have already given their backing to the bid.
Now individual businesses and other organisations in the region are being asked to add their voice to the bid for faster and better decision making.
The benefits to businesses of devolution in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire are potentially huge. Amongst the new powers under consideration for devolution to the East Midlands are:
- Funding for major new infrastructure projects, including road and rail improvements
- A greater say on skills, apprenticeships and training, to match the attributes of the workforce with the needs of business
- Strengthening planning and compulsory purchase powers to free up redundant brownfield land for development
- 100% fast broadband coverage
- Create a Midlands Engine Hub for Foreign Direct Investment
- Improved awareness of finance options for SMEs
Ian Curryer, lead Chief Executive for the East Midlands devolution deal, said: “The benefits to business of a devolution deal are potentially huge. The Northern Powerhouse is already firmly established and some of the areas within it have also secured devolution deals, as has the West Midlands.
“An East Midlands deal would help to level the playing field for our area and make us a key player within the Midlands Engine for Growth. It would put us back in the fast lane.
“Now we need everyone to get involved in backing the region and backing the deal, so we’re urging businesses to speak to their MPs. The voice of business is critical if we’re to create the momentum that will help us secure the growth, prosperity and success for the East Midlands that will all crave.”
An email calling for support has been sent to over 10,000 businesses in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire by the East Midlands devolution bid team. It can be viewed online here.Back