Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube
East Midlands Chamber News

HMRC writes to all UK and NI firms trading only with EU

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs has written to every VAT-registered business in the UK and Northern Ireland that trades only with the EU explaining changes to customs, excise and VAT if the UK leaves the EU without a deal in March.


The letter is a follow up to a letter sent in September that warned of potential immediate changes.


If trade is across the Irish border only, then no immediate action is needed.


However, companies that trade directly with other parts of the EU must do three things now, HMRC says. They are:
  • Register for a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number at www.gov.uk/hmrc/get-eori to continue to import or export goods with the EU
· Decide if you want to hire an agent to make import and/or export declarations for you or if you want to make these declarations yourself (by buying software that interacts with HMRC’s systems). If you want to:
    • declare through an agent, contact one to find out what information they’ll need from you
    • use software to make declarations yourself, talk to a software provider to make sure that their product meets your needs, depending on whether you import, export or both.
  • Contact the organisation that moves your goods (for example, a haulage firm) to find out if you need to supply additional information to them so that they can make the safety and security declarations for your goods, or whether you will need to submit these declarations yourself.


If you are trading only with the EU and have not received a letter from HMRC you can see them at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/no-deal-brexit-advice-for-businesses-only-trading-with-the-eu.