Getting started with diversity and inclusion in the workplace
Type: Business Growth
Date: Thursday, 11 February 2021
Time: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Available To: Eligible SME's
Member Price: FREE
Non-Member Price: FREE
For managers and business leaders, making sure you don’t fall foul of employment law can feel like a minefield. This session will demystify the topic of diversity and inclusion and highlight some recent tribunal cases to consider the issues from a practical perspective.
In their factsheet ‘Diversity and inclusion in the workplace’ (2020), the CIPD identified that ‘any business case for diversity must consider the potential positive outcomes for individuals, such as impact on well-being, and balance them with business outcomes. Three of the main business benefits of taking diversity and inclusion seriously are talent, market competitiveness, and corporate reputation.’ So there are firm reasons why embracing a diverse workforce is positive not only for the business but also morally.
Having a diverse workforce doesn’t mean that everyone experiences their job or the company in the same way: this is the role of inclusion. Ensuring that everyone is treated equally and has the same opportunities to contribute and be part of a team.
This Webinar will Cover:
- Getting to grips with the characteristics that are protected by law
- The different types of discrimination
- Introduction to unconscious bias – prejudice and stereotypes
- How to support the BAME and LGBTQ+ communities
- COVID-19 – what issues have arisen around diversity and inclusion?
- Recent tribunal cases
- What outcomes you can expect from attending:
- Be able to identify the characteristics protected by law
- Recognise how bias, prejudice and stereotypes can affect our judgements
- Be able to recognise how discrimination can occur
- Take away practical steps of how to support the BAME and LGBTQ+ communities in your workforce
- Understand the impact of not tackling discrimination within your organisation
Who Should Attend?
Business owners, managers, leaders, and anyone within organisations who wish to better understand how to support a diverse and inclusive workplace. This webinar is aimed at SME businesses.
This presentation is delivered in partnership with Business Gateway Growth Hub and Loates HR Training and is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. Places are limited and priority will be given to trading SMEs based in Leicester and Leicestershire.