Developing the 'Right Website' for Your Business: Part 1
Type: Business Growth
Venue: Action Planning Workshop, D2N2
Date: Wednesday, 23 June 2021
Time: 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Available To: Eligible SME's
Speaker: Rob Gregory
Member Price: FREE
Non-Member Price: FREE
Every organisation needs a website but what should it look like and how can you be sure that you’ve developed the right website for your business?
It’s never been easier to build a website, or at least that’s what the marketing from the various self-build website companies will tell you. On the one hand, it’s true it really has never been easier. However, on the other hand there are so many choices it’s not always clear which direction you should go when choosing to develop a website for your business. This workshop changes all that by simplifying the process and asking questions about what you need your website to do. By the end of the workshop, you will have a better understanding of what the right website is for your business.
Who should attend this workshop?
Anyone within an organisation looking to either redevelop or develop a completely new website. There is no need to be technical or even have decided on which tools and platforms you are going to adopt. This workshop will take you on a journey from the planning stages to launching a site in easy to digest steps.
Please note that this workshop is open to trading SMEs based in Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. Businesses located outside of this area will be unable to attend and instead directed to alternative support.
What will we cover?
- Anatomy of a website – What are the component parts of a website, how do they interact and how can we make good decisions about how these assets are created and managed?
- What do you need your website to do (and not do) – What does your individual business or organisation need from a website, and what does it not need? Make informed decisions on what’s in and what’s outright at the start of your project.
- Functionality and features – Websites can do many things however the more things a website does the more you have to build, maintain, and think about. Less is more when it comes to features so in this section, you’ll learn how to be selective about the functionality and features you choose to build into your new website.
- Platforms and tools – There are lots of options out there and sometimes it might feel a little daunting. Let us look at the choices and the potential pros and cons of each option.
- Build options and Technical considerations – Self-build, agency or freelancer – what are the options, costs and timescales involved with each approach and ultimately which is the right choice for your business. Also what are the technical things we need to consider i.e. domain names and hosting.
- Looking after your site once it’s live – Your website is never finished, in fact it’s an ever-changing set of experiments. Learn how to keep a check on your website and optimise it over time.
What outcomes can you expect from joining us?
After attending this 2-part workshop, you will:
Have a clearer understanding of how to plan and approach a website development project
Understand some of the key terms and concepts giving you the knowledge and confidence to talk to suppliers about your needs
Be armed with an action plan and you will be well-positioned to start the process of planning the right website for your business
This is an interactive, Action Planning Online Workshop. You will leave this session with handouts and a practical action plan which can be implemented within your business. Where possible, we would like to encourage you to join this session with your video camera turned on and when instructed by the facilitator, you may un-mute your microphone to take full advantage of the interactive nature of the workshop. For the best user experience, we recommend joining the workshop using Chrome or Firefox as your web browser.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the session:
1.00pm - 1.50pm - Workshop presentation
1.50pm - 2.00pm - Break
2.00pm - 2.50pm - Workshop presentation
2.50pm - 3.00pm - Break
3.00pm - 3.45pm - Workshop presentation
3.45pm - 4.00pm - Q&A
Who’ll be presenting this workshop?
Rob Gregory is a Founding Director of Magnifica, a tech agency based in Chesterfield. Rob has been helping businesses to implement effective software solutions for over 20 years.
He has significant experience across a broad range of digital applications, from Custom Software to Website Development and Rob’s message is that technology must be used to simplify business processes and provide a true return on investment. Rob also provides one to one support on website development to help businesses be the best they can online.
Click here to book your place on to: Developing the 'Right Website' for Your Business: Part 2
Here’s how simple it is to book your place:
This session will be delivered via GoTo - to register for a place all you need to do is complete the booking form
It’s quick and easy and if you have any questions, just contact your dedicated Events & Engagement Officer, Hannah Kerridge - 07741 163242